Monday, December 17, 2012

Bread Masala(South Indian)

Those who have visited Diana Restaurant in Udupi might have tried their Bread Masala. Someone asked me if I have tried it. I frankly admitted that I have not seen that dish as my preference always goes to have their excellent Idli Sambar, Masala Dosa, Poori Dhingri Masala and of course the inimitable Cutlets!

When I was a bachelor, bread used to be the staple breakfast food. Bread butter jam, bread omlette, bread sandwich....then with some idea I came out with Bread Masala with a South Indian touch. I don't know if this is the same they serve at Diana but I guarantee you, this one is a tasty snack.

Ingredients:
Plain bread - 8 slices cut into 1/2 inch chunks.
Mustard seeds - 1/2 Tsp
Urad Daal - 1/2 Tsp
Curry leaves - A sprig
Oil - 2 Teaspoon
Onion - 1 big chopped
Green Chillies - 2 Chopped
Tomatoes - 2 small chopped
Sambar powder - 2 Teaspoon
Tamarind extract/Lemon juice - 1 teaspoon(Optional)
Salt - To taste
Coriander leaves - A handful chopped

Method:
Heat oil in a thick bottomed deep pan.Prepare a seasoning with mustard seeds, urad daal and curry leaves.
Add chopped green chillies and onion. Fry till onion turns transparent.
Add sambar powder and salt to taste, followed by chopped tomatoes. Fry well till tomatoes are mushy.
Optionally add the tamarind extract or lemon juice if you want the dish more tangy.
Now add the bread chunks, mix well, allow the juices to infiltrate into the bread, at the same time roasting the pieces by tossing them over high flame.
Serve garnished with chopped coriander leaves.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Image Copy Control