Friday, May 15, 2015

Bread Fruit Ghee Roast

The versatile nutritious delicious bread fruit can be adapted in making special dishes easily. Ghee Roast is one such dish. 
I had been planning to make Bread Fruit Ghee roast since many months but didn't get the fruit on the right occasion. When I got the fruit from Honavar sent by my friend Manjeshwar Madhava Bhat last month, I made a few different dishes and snacks but by the time I decided to make ghee roast, we ran out of stock. I felt lucky when my friend gave me 4 huge Bread Fruits last Sunday as I was travelling back from Sirsi to Mangalore via Honavar. I gave two away to my friends and we were left with two. 

After making three varieties of chips with one, I reserved the second one for making Ghee Roast and two other innovative dishes. I have found an easy way out in making ghee roast. Kundapur masala powder comes in handy, we have that in stock always, but we need to add couple of ingredients we almost always have in store. If you don't get that masala, here's the recipe.

Bread Fruit blends well with Kundapur Masala Powder. Hence this ghee roast turned out really good. Please follow this simple and quick recipe, make it and share it with your family and friends.
Ingredients:
Bread Fruit - 250 Gms
Onion - 1/2 of one small onion sliced thin
Garlic - 3 cloves peeled and finely chopped
Kundapur Masala Powder - 1 and 1/2 Tsp
Kashmiri Chilli Powder - 1/2 Tsp
Salt - 1/4 Tsp(or to taste)
Tamarind  - A pea size pinch soaked in 30 Ml water
Plain Yogurt - 2 Tsp
Oil - For deep frying
Ghee(Clarified Butter) - 4 Tsp

Method:
Shave off the outer green skin of bread fruit, remove the center core and cut into 3/4" thick, 2" wide slices.
Heat oil in a kadai and deep fry the bread fruit pieces till crisp and golden.
Drain and keep aside.
Combine tamarind extract, salt, Kundapur masala powder, Kashmiri chilli powder and yogurt.
Heat ghee in a pan and fry sliced onion till brown.
You may also add 1 Tsp brown onion paste instead of slicing and frying onion.
Add chopped garlic and fry for 1 minute.
Add the masala paste and fry till ghee leaves the sides.
Now place the fried bread fruit slices in the masala and coat them well.
Cook for 2-3 minutes on slow fire and then switch off the flame.
Serve as starter snack or as side dish with ghee rice, choice of Indian bread or Neer Dosas.
Note:
You may make the masala slightly wet by adding little more water, in case you are relishing the dish with Rotis or Neer Dosas.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Image Copy Control